Homeschool Room: From Dresser to Bookcase


I have been hoarding this dresser in my previous garage for the past year.  Up until yesterday, it was sitting in our shed collecting cobwebs.  I have had attachment issues with this dresser.  It was one of those "free" dressers found on the curb that had hidden potential and I just couldn't throw it out.


It was a mess.  The drawers would not stay on track, the sanded drawer was completely broken, and the top drawer had no knobs.  It's a solid wood piece and I just didn't have the heart to throw it away.  I've seen a few, fabulous dressers floating around the web that did not incorporate drawers into the final product.  So, I decided to give it a try.

I took out & dismantled all the drawers.  I plan to fill in the knob holes and turn them into vintage signs.  Once the drawers were taken out, my husband took out the wooden tracks in the middle of each shelf. 

This dresser will be going into our new, homeschool room.  I needed a piece of furniture that would store toys for our Preschoolers as well as our reading books, and this piece will do the job perfectly.

Ok, back to the step-by-step viewing.

Next, I used Zinnser's Cover Stain tinted a light blue that was purchased for this project. As you can see, I just slapped a thin layer onto the dresser & called it good.

 I painted two coats of the same Peacock Tail color made by Behr used in the project found here.



Just this morning, I went into Home Depot and found an "oops" sample of paint for only $.50!  It was the perfect shade of yellow to match the blue as well as the other decor in the homeschool room. 


Next, I lightly sanded down the edges by hand.  I do prefer the distressed look.  In my opinion, it brings out the curves and detailing of the piece.  Also, I like the light blue and dark wood popping through the edges.  They compliment the dresser beautifully.  


The baskets on the lower, three shelves were purchased last year at Target.  They fit nicely in the space provided inside the dresser.




Let's see that before shot one more time....


And how it looks now....






Partying at...

Funky Junk Interiors
DIY Showoff
Becolorful
diy home sweet home
Between Naps on the Porch
my uncommon slice of suburbia
Primitive & Proper
Handy Man Crafty Woman
beyond the picket fence
Embracing Change
The 36th Avenue
The Shabby Creek Cottage
French Country Cottage
At the Picket Fence
2805
Miss Mustard Seed

Tip 
Junkie handmade projects


Comments

  1. What an incredible transformation - did you have to put the shelves in?
    Love it!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzan! Thank you for your kind words. No, I didn't have to add any shelving. I did forget to mention that my husband took out the wooden tracks in the middle of each shelf which gives it a smooth look.

      Delete
    2. Wow, Jackie, as always, I'm amazed. I LOVE the way you see the potential in something to make it into something even more useful and beautiful. I think this is the way God see the potential in us and then makes us into something far more useful and beautiful than before we have Him as our Savior and our Lord.

      Delete
  2. I love your "oops" bookcase. All kinds of Oopses were wrong and you made them all right. I haven't been able to pain anyting that gorgeous blue but I'm anxious to try it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! that was an awesome idea!!! the top gives it lovely molding- i think it looks better as a bookcase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing makeover! I love the colors and I too think it makes a much better bookcase than dresser! Why can't I find something great like this for FREE!! Green with Envy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! What a fabulous change! I love what you did and how you were able to think out of the box!
    Thanks for sharing -
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks great! i'm dying to redo some piece of furniture...i'm not yet brave enough, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this! The curved part of the top is the part that gives it the most pizzaz, and it's probably the part that would have made me walk on by something like that at the thrift store. (Of course, I love curbside treasures even more.) I will be on the lookout for stuff like that now. I really, really love it. (Saw you on the link ups at Inspiration Friday and had to come take a look. )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! What a great up-cycle! I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantabulous! I was so enamoured with your project that I featured your post on this week's Motivated Monday at BeColorful. Thanks so much for linking up.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! My parents have that exact dresser in their garage... I might just have to salvage it now! Stopped by from At the Picket Fence and am now a follower :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment